Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ahh vacation!

My husband and I took a little weekend vacation to Destin, FL this past weekend. We needed some time to just get away and relax for a couple days. We did a little shopping, went to the beach, and did a lot of eating! When we're out of town we really enjoy trying out the local places in whatever town we're in. It gives you a feel for the area and often times you find the best food!



Our first stop on our trip was brunch at the original Donut Hole in Destin. It's known for what else, donuts! But besides some awesome donuts they offer a wonderful breakfast and lunch menu. They serve everything from belgian waffles and omelets to cheeseburgers and taco salad. On most any day of the week there is a long line out the door of this local favorite. We were lucky that there wasn't a long line that day and decided to order off the menu and take our time before a long day of shopping. I ordered the sweet potato pancakes with a warm pecan praline sauce and a side of thick cut bacon. I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing those pancakes were with that thick, sweet praline sauce on top. It was pure heaven on a plate. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me to take a picture of my sinfully delicious brunch but I promise, it is as good as it sounds.



After a long day of shopping at the outlets in Destin, we decided to check out a seafood restaurant right on the beach. Pompano Joes is an open air dining restaurant specializing in fresh seafood. I decided after such a heavy brunch I should order something a little lighter for dinner so I got the jerk shrimp salad with mango. It was served with warm crusty bread and a garlic vinaigrette. I did manage to get a picture of this!




We spent most of the next day at the beach soaking up the sun and enjoying the ocean. Later that night we went to dinner at The Back Porch. My husband used to eat at the Back Porch with his friends in Gulf Shores, AL when they would go on deep sea fishing trips. I had been hearing about this restaurant for years now and how good it was. So we just had to eat at the one in Destin. It's another open air dining restaurant right on the beach. I ordered the surf and turf; a new york strip steak with fresh gulf shrimp. This also came with a wonderful mushroom rice pilaf and fresh grilled corn on the cob. It was entirely too much food for me to eat by myself but I enjoyed trying!
I couldn't get a picture of my dinner due to the low lighting but I did manage to get a picture of the sunset over the ocean which was the view from our table. It was a very romantic dinner by candlelight with the breeze coming in off the ocean.


So now we're back home from vacation a few pounds heavier and a little sunburned but very relaxed. If you ever get a chance, you should visit Destin, FL. It has some of the most beautiful beaches and some great local food to enjoy.

1 comment:

Linda and Matthew said...

The sunset looks so beautiful! It looks like you had some pretty darn good food to eat. I want to go back to the beach!