Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fried Chicken...sort of


I just got back from visiting my family in south Georgia. Every time I'm there I'm reminded of a simpler way of cooking. Simple ingredients, no measuring, and full fat foods. Since I've been home, I've been craving some southern fried chicken. Well, I don't fry foods and I'm trying to eliminate calories wherever I can so I started looking for a recipe that would come close without all the fat. I found this recipe online and it turned out so, so good! While it doesn't compare to my grandma's skin-on, deep fried chicken, it is a really good alternative. It turned out very moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. My modifications are in italics.

Oven Fried Chicken

  • 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces (I used 2 boneless, skinless
  • chicken breasts)
  • 1 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I didn't have any so I used 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes)
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (I used 1/4 cup light mayo and 1/2 cup milk, whisked together)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl or gallon size resealable plastic bag, mix together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.
  3. Coat the chicken pieces with mayonnaise (mayo/milk mixture). Place chicken pieces in bowl/bag with bread crumb mixture and coat/shake until well coated. Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
* I baked at 375 for 30 min and then broiled each side of the chicken for about 2 min per side to make it crispier. By the way, for those of you who do not like mayo, this didn't taste at all like mayo. It just made it moist on the inside.

Original Source: Allrecipes

1 comment:

Deborah said...

This reminds me of Shake & Bake. :) Good for you for cutting out those excess calories, it still looks wonderful!