Monday, June 25, 2007

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil

So it's been a while since I've updated my blog. Things have been so hectic around here and we've pretty much been fending for ourselves. I was exhausted tonight but decided I should cook anyway. My friend Elly sent me some orzo, since I'm so sheltered and had never tried it, so I decided to make that tonight. I saw this recipe on allrecipes.com and had saved it a week or so ago. Then I saw it on someone elses' blog too and decided to try it. It was very easy and very good! I think I've found a new food that I love!

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

DIRECTIONS

  1. Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
  2. Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
  3. Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.
* I didn't have any chicken broth on hand so I just used 14.5 oz of water and added some salt. We had this with some grilled chicken and peas.

Original source: allrecipes.com

5 comments:

MrsSisler said...

I tried this a few weeks ago & it was sooooo good!! I love an excuse to use some of my fresh basil

Carrie said...

I love Orzo, this was the first recipe I tried too.

Elly said...

I'm glad you liked it! I love that recipe, too.

~Amber~ said...

Yummmy, I love orzo. Looks great.

klutz4eva said...

That all looks great!