Sunday, June 17, 2007

Calzones

One of my favorite foods to eat is calzones. There's a local restaurant that we go to at least once a month that has the best calzones. I decided I should try to make them at home since I often get a craving for them. They are a quick and delicious dinner and you can basically use any of your favorite pizza toppings inside. Homemade calzones has become one of my favorite go to dinners.



Spinach, tomato, and mushroom calzones


1 tube refridgerated pizza dough (makes two calzones)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup baby spinach chopped
olive oil for brushing the tops
parmesan cheese

Preheat oven according to directions on pizza dough. In my case, 400 degrees. Open the pizza dough and cut the roll of dough in half. Roll each half into a circle. Layer the tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach on one half of the circle. Fold the other half of the circle over the ingredients and press the edges together to seal. Repeat with the 2nd half of the pizza dough. Brush the tops of each calzone with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake as directed on the pizza dough. It only took 18 min for me. Serve with marinara for dipping.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

YUM! I love homemade calzones!!!

Cara said...

those look delicious!
wanna play tag?
http://carascravings.blogspot.com/2007/06/ive-been-tagged.html

Sylvia said...

I love calzone ,and this sounds perfect !!!! Yum !!!

Crystal's Creations said...

I make these ALL the time. They are yummy, I make them with pepperoni, meatballs, cheese and I put some marinara inside.