Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Veggies Galore

I've come to the realization we just don't eat enough veggies. I personally could eat veggies all day every day. In fact if I didn't like a good, juicy burger every now and some crunchy bacon from time to time, I could almost be a vegetarian. But my husband, well he's another story. He would eat nothing but meat, bread, potatoes, and pasta if he didn't have a loving wife that insisted he eat other things that are good for him. I don't always bother making all the veggies I like because I would be the only one eating them. But I've become pretty creative at incorporating some veggies into our meals. He's much more willing to eat vegetables if they're in something rather than just piled on a plate screaming "I'm a veggie, I'm good for you!". Ok, so they don't really scream at you but they might as well as far as he's concerned. So tonight for dinner I crammed as many vegetables into our dinner as possible. I made a really yummy veggie rice pilaf to go along with our spicy Cajun shrimp which I just sauteed in some olive oil and garlic, and sprinkled with Cajun spice mix. We also had some steamed yellow squash and broccoli (for me) and corn on the cob (for him). Such a great dinner!

Veggie Rice Pilaf

1/4 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 large green bell pepper,chopped
1/4 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup brown rice
salt and pepper

Begin by cooking the rice and set aside. Then finely chop all the vegetables. Heat a skillet over medium heat with about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add chopped veggies to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and let simmer another 3 minutes or so. Add the pressed garlic and stir. Last, stir in the cooked rice, remaining broth, salt, and pepper. Let cook another 3-5 minutes until some of the broth is absorbed. Serve warm.

6 comments:

bakingblonde said...

Wow! I love your food Schoonie!

You have been tagged!

http://bakingblonde.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-have-been-tagged.html

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I personally believe that veggies and rice ar e a match made in heaven. My dad makes a similar veggie rice that is so good. I'll have to try this one!

Brittany said...

I love your blog, especially your shrimp recipes, so I am excited to see a new one!

Also, I tagged you as well, so check out my blog, and I hope it spreads the word about you fabulous food blog!

Cynthia Matzat said...

I just want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog very much. Your recipes are wonderful.

I left something for you on my blog.

Check it out when you get a chance.

Jaime said...

we don't eat enough veggies either! this rice pilaf looks great :)

Kelsey said...

Renea,

You’ve been tagged! Show your WC Nesties some love!

~Kelsey

http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/