Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Blackened Grouper

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. That is really fish in my blog. I have said many times that I'm not a fan of fish. But my husband really likes it. Whenever we go to restaurants, he often gets fish and usually convinces me to try a bite. Most of the time I think it's good, depending on how it's prepared, but wouldn't order it off the menu just for myself. It's just not one of my favorite meals. I really do want to like fish because I know it's so good for you. So, I decided I'd give it another try and make this blackened grouper since that's one of my husband's favorite dishes. It was actually pretty good. Again, not my favorite meal ever but definitely something I can eat. I really enjoyed the Cajun spice seasoning that I made to go on it. It provided great flavor to the fish.

Blackened Grouper

4 grouper fillets
2-3 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp Cajun Spice Mix (recipe follows)

Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan. Season both sides of the fillets with the spice mix. Place the fish in the hot pan and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until fish begins to flake. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.

Cajun Spice Mix

Ingredients

3
tablespoons paprika
2
tablespoons ground red pepper
2
tablespoons dried thyme
2
tablespoons dried oregano
2
tablespoons onion powder
2
tablespoons garlic powder
1
tablespoon kosher salt
1
tablespoon black pepper
1
tablespoon sugar

Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

*The remaining spice mix can be stored in an airtight container to use in other recipes.

Source for the Cajun Spice Mix: Cooking Light

3 comments:

ashley said...

I've saved this post. I'll definitely have to try making my own cajun spice. It looks good!

~Amber~ said...

I have the same problem as you. I want to like fish but I just am not sure if I can. Then smell alone makes me want to puke. But like your situation; my husband really likes it. So I might have to give it a try. This does look pretty good by the way. :)

Jaime said...

i LOVE blackened fish! i'm glad you decided to give it a try....