Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Let's just call it "Chicken Elly"

On my quest to avoid the grocery store until the end of the week, I pulled out my last two boneless skinless chicken breasts to defrost this morning. I had no idea what I wanted to do with them but I was determined to use what I had on hand. I figured I'd come up with something fabulous by dinner time. While I was at work today, I remembered hearing a buzz about a chicken recipe on Elly's blog. A lot of people had made it from a cooking board that I frequent. In fact, so many people have made it, it's being called "chicken Elly". So I looked it up and decided that's what I'd make tonight. It was really easy using basic ingredients that I always have on hand. I followed it exactly except for the fact that I used chicken breasts and she made this with leg quarters. I also used skin on red potatoes. It was great! So Elly, how does it feel to be famous? ; )

How I made it:
(I'm copying this straight from Elly's post) : )

First, peel and quarter (or eighth) the potatoes (I use 2 small or medium russets). Then, add some extra virgin olive oil and the juice of half a lemon to a baking dish. Add the potatoes and the chicken leg quarters to the baking dish, and turn them around to coat them with the EVOO (sorry) and lemon juice. Then, add salt, pepper and dried oregano to the chicken and potatoes. Flip them, and salt, pepper & oregano the other sides. Add about 1/3 cup of chicken broth to the pan (so it just covers the bottom of the pan, about 1/4" or so standing). Squeeze the rest of the lemon over the whole thing. Bake it for about an hour at 400*. Check on it 1-2 times to add chicken broth as necessary or baste the chicken with the juices.

No comments: