Monday, October 29, 2007

Soup for the Soul


You know how sometimes you just get a craving for something and you just have to have it? Well that's what happened to me last week. I don't know what triggered it. Maybe it was the chilly weather we're having or this little cold I've been fighting off for a couple weeks now. Whatever it was, I was really craving chicken and rice soup. It's funny because I don't usually like chicken soup either. I started looking at recipes online and then just pretty much made up my own based on the things I wanted in my soup. It turned out to be a very good and filling soup. We had this tonight for dinner with the rolls in my previous post.

Chicken and Rice Soup

2 chicken breasts, trimmed
5 cups water
1 cup chicken stock (you could use broth instead)
1 tsp thyme
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 large onion, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 cup celery, finely chopped (I'm not a huge fan of celery so you could add more)
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
3/4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
salt and pepper to taste

Begin by boiling the chicken breasts in a large pot with water and chicken stock. Once the chicken is done, remove from the pot and set aside. Place vegetables, thyme, and chicken bouillon in the pot and simmer for 15-20 until vegetables are tender. Shred the chicken with two forks and return it to the pot. Add the rice and let simmer about 20 min until the rice is done. Add more water as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

this looks so good...perfect for a cold day. i wish my DH would eat more soup! i will have to save this for a time when i am just cooking for myself :)

Carrie said...

Looks like great soup!