Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Something's Fishy

I don't usually eat fish...of any kind. But I did as a kid and one of my favorite things that my mom used to make was salmon patties. I haven't had them in years, but when I saw them on a food blog the other day it made me want to try them again. So I decided that's what we would have for dinner tonight along with rice and steamed broccoli. I didn't find out until I was starting dinner that my husband, who loves fish, doesn't like salmon. Great. I told him if I could try them then he had to try them and if he didn't like them he could eat a grilled cheese sandwich. : P They turned out good but I think I've decided I'm just really not a fish person. I have tried and tried to like it but in the end, it's just not one of my favorite foods. It was different and the flavors were good so I guess if I was a fish lover, I'd call this a great meal.

Salmon Patties

1 can pink salmon, flaked, bones and skin removed
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
olive oil


Begin by sauteing the chopped onions in a pan with a little olive oil for about 5 min. Then combine the onions with the salmon, bread crumbs, egg, and seasonings in a bowl. Form into patties. In a skillet, heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Place salmon patties in the pan and cook on each side for 3-5 min. They should be golden brown. Drain the excess oil off the patties by placing them on a plate with paper towels.



For the rice I just sauteed 1/2 cup chopped onions and 1/2 a chopped green bell pepper in some olive oil. Then I added cooked brown rice to the pan, 1/2 cup chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Let it heat through for a couple minutes.

No comments: