Sunday, September 23, 2007

Belgian Waffles


When you get married in the south, you almost always receive a cookbook from the ladies in your church. I guess it's their way of giving you your first tool for becoming a good wife and cook. It's usually a collection of recipes from the ladies in the church, with all the dishes you'd see at any southern church fellowship. Macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, various casseroles and salads, pecan pie, peach cobbler...There are many tried and true southern recipes in those cookbooks. Well when I got married, I too, got my little cookbook. And until today, I have never actually used it. But I remembered seeing a waffle recipe in the back of the cookbook and thought I'd give it a try.

My husband has been asking for Belgian waffles ever since we got back from Destin, FL where we ate at the Donut Hole for breakfast. With our anniversary coming up on the 25th, I thought I'd be a good wife and make him some for breakfast today. So I went out and bought a waffle maker and found a recipe. These turned out very delicious for a basic waffle recipe. I can't wait to experiment with other flavors though.

Meg's Perfect Every Time Waffles

2 cups self rising flour
1 3/4 cup whole milk
2 tsp sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

Begin by separating the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff. Set aside. Beat yolks in a separate bowl with milk and oil. Mix in sugar and vanilla. Add flour and mix until smooth. Lightly fold in egg whites until combined (do not beat). Pour 3/4 cup batter onto the waffle iron and bake as directed.

*
It took about 4 min on my waffle iron for a light brown waffle.

Original Source: Heavenly Delights-Gray Hill Baptist Church Cookbook

No comments: