Monday, September 3, 2007

Basil Pesto Chicken


My husband says I never make the same thing twice which is really not true. I do try to mix it up and try at least a couple new recipes every week so it may seem like I never make the same thing twice to him. Tonight I proved him wrong. When he was plating his chicken at dinner he asked "haven't we had this before?," as if he couldn't believe I would actually make it a second time. The truth is, we've had this probably 3 or 4 times before. It's just been a while. It's a simple recipe with lots of flavor from the garlic and pesto. A nice change from boring old chicken.

I originally came up with this when I saw a recipe somewhere online for pesto chicken rolls. The recipe seemed a little bland to me so I took the idea and just changed it up a bit. We had this tonight with my garlic mashed potatoes and a garden salad.


Basil Pesto Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp italian seasoning
2-4 tsp prepared basil pesto (either homemade or jarred)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly salt and pepper each chicken breast. Sprinkle chicken breasts with italian seasoning. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic and cook 1-2 min. Add chicken to the hot skillet. Sear on each side to add color as well as seal in the juices of the chicken. Place chicken breasts in a baking dish. Top each piece of chicken with 1-2 tsp of pesto, depending on the size of each chicken breast. Top with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese each and place in the oven. Bake for about 25 min or until juices run clear.





5 comments:

Elly said...

Mmmm looks so good. You had me at pesto :)

~Amber~ said...

This looks great Renea!

And I am surprised my husband does not say the same thing. I like to try new stuff so much that I forget about the old stuff.

Kayte said...

this looks so good!

Deborah said...

Yum, I love pesto... with melted cheese too? Sign me up!

ashley said...

seriously looks sooo good... chicken, basil pesto & cheese; don't think you can go wrong!