Friday, June 8, 2007

Another first!

This is not really blog worthy but I thought I'd add it anyway for anyone who had never made bread crumbs like I hadn't.

It's funny what you'll try when you run out of something. I've always bought pre-made bread crumbs from the grocery store, but tonight I was out. I figured making my own wouldn't be that hard and decided to try it. After all it's just bread crumbs.


Bread crumbs

4 slices whole wheat bread (That's all I had but you could use most any bread)
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Toast bread in oven or toaster until dry. Let cool. Place bread in a food processor and process until you have fine crumbs. Combine bread crumbs with other ingredients in a bowl.








Voila! So easy!



The reason behind making my own bread crumbs tonight was that I needed them to make lemon chicken. I was very uninspired when I took my chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning but found a recipe that sounded pretty tasty. It actually turned out surprisingly good. It got the thumbs up from my husband as well!











Baked Lemon Chicken

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a shallow dish, combine the butter, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Place bread crumbs in another dish. Dip chicken in butter mixture, then coat with crumbs.
  2. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Drizzle with remaining butter mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until juices run clear.
* I used 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2" strips. I also used 2 cloves of garlic. I baked at 375 degrees for about 15 min, turning chicken strips over about half way through cooking. Then I broiled for about 2 min to crisp.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Lemon-Chicken/Detail.aspx

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I have always wanted to make my own bread crumbs, the look great.

Elly said...

Yum, looks great! I love lemon chicken.